On October 1, 2018, Sawgrass Mutual Insurance Company (“SMIC”) was ordered liquidated by the Second Judicial Circuit Court in Leon County, Florida. The Florida Department of Financial Services (“Department”) is the court appointed Receiver of SMIC.  Please continue to report all new claims in accordance with the company’s normal claims filling procedures until instructed differently. More information is available on the Department’s website here.


Frequently Asked Questions

Find the Answers you Need!

Sawgrass Mutual wants to be sure you have answers to your questions and the information you need. Always discuss your individual policy and coverage questions with your agent. The agent is your professional insurance consultant who provides answers and advice that is personalized to your insurance requirements.


When can I expect an adjuster to inspect my damage after I reported my claim?

A claims adjuster is immediately assigned after your claim is reported. The adjuster will contact you to schedule an inspection with you at your convenience.

Can I make the repairs before my adjuster inspects the damage?

You should protect your property from further damage. We recommend photo documenting damage prior to making temporary repairs if needed, but do not make any permanent repairs until the adjuster has inspected the damage.

What do I do if I cannot live in my house?

Your homeowner policy does provide for additional living expenses, if your home is not inhabitable. This coverage helps cover the additional costs to help maintain your family’s normal standard of living. Our claims staff can provide the necessary instructions to help you get reimbursed for your expenses.

Can you recommend a preferred contractor?

Yes. Our network of leading, independent property damage restoration contractors across Florida is DKI. DKI can provide full services to our “members”: emergency response, water damage mitigation, mold remediation, complete reconstruction and much more 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They also provide a three year guaranty on their work.

Why is my mortgage company listed on the check?

If you are making payments to a lien holder (i.e. mortgage company), they have an insurable interest in the property. You will need to contact them regarding their endorsement procedures if they are included on the check.

Do I need an inventory of the household items that were damaged or stolen in my home?

Yes. Having a documented inventory of your household and items will be invaluable when providing this information to the claim adjuster. Your claim adjuster will provide you with the necessary forms and will explain how to complete them.


What is a Mutual Company?

A mutual company is owned by the policyholders, whereas a stock company is owned by the stockholders and/or investors. Profits made in a mutual are retained by the company for the sole benefit of the policyholders.

What is the Surplus Contribution?

Every Florida insurance company is required to meet certain capital requirements, also referred to as surplus, to operate. Adequate levels of surplus must be maintained in order to ensure all valid claims are paid. As the number of policyholders grow, so too must the level of surplus.

Stock insurance companies accumulate surplus by selling shares of stock to outside investors. A mutual company does not have shareholders; the policyholders - also known as "members" - are the owners. Therefore, to meet capital requirements, members are required to make an annual contribution to surplus. This contribution is included in the total policy premium.


Does my homeowner’s policy cover damage caused by a flood?

Your Homeowner policy DOES NOT cover damage resulting from a flood or rising water. You must purchase Flood Insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) for this type of loss. Contact your independent agent to discuss whether Flood Insurance is right for you.

Do I need to increase my homeowners’ coverage if I’ve remodeled my home?

You should always discuss any changes to your home with your agent. The addition of a room, upgrading/remodeling a kitchen or bathroom can affect the amount of coverage you may wish to have on your home.